Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Perfect Palettes According to Jannie


This post is also known as the Perfect Palette Tag, which has been going around YouTube for quite a while now. It's a lady named Melissa (or iluvfaces1042 on YouTube) who started this tag. The tag she came up with is brilliant and a lot of fun to do. :) If I weren't such a slacker, I would've made this blog post sooner. :P Better late than never, right?

There are 10 questions on this tag. I am actually going to combine three questions into one palette if that makes any sense. One of the questions will be missing a picture. You will also see more than two Urban Decay palettes. Just a head's up there. Alrighty. Enough intro and let's begin. :D

Best Packaging. This goes to the Naked Basics palette by Urban Decay. Although the palette is rubberized, it doesn't get dirty or dingy. As much as I love frilly and fancy makeup palettes, I appreciate the clean, minimalist elegance that houses the Naked Basics eyeshadows.

Best Color Payoff. The Coastal Scents 88 Ultra Shimmer Eye Shadow Palette has the best color payoff in my opinion. The colors are bold and vibrant. No lie that they are quite soft and powdery too, so beware of that. To make up for those cons, the shadows are very easy to blend. Color choices are virtually endless. Best of all, you'll be rocking beautiful, colorful eye of the day or night looks.

Most Versatile. I find the ELF Studio Endless Eyes Pro Mini Eyeshadow Palette in Brights #85041 to be the most versatile out of all my palettes. Yes, there are other palettes in my stash that come close to versatility as this. This gets my Most Versatile vote because of its diverse range of colors and finishes. Although this palette is labeled as Brights, there are other color ranges as well. It also has neutral and smokey colors. In terms of finishes, there are frosty, matte, and satin shadows. A majority appear to be satin. Unfortunately, there are a few shadows that aren't pigmented at all and some that are chalky. There are still a handful of shadows that are rich in color and easy to work with. A couple of the ones that lack pigmentation are still quite buildable too. This palette is very affordable at $6, by the way.

Best for Traveling. That is Urban Decay's Ammo Palette. I bought this at a Sephora in Louisville, Kentucky and it made it all in one piece en route here to Escondido. It survived in the midst of a baggage full of clothes and souvenirs even with cardboard packaging and a magnetic closure. I brought this over to my uncle's house too to do my makeup to attend my cousin's wedding. Anyway, I like this for travel because it's small, thin, and has quite an adequate selection of colors. I'm very content with having between eight to 15 eyeshadow colors while I'm on the go. For me, a lot can be done with a few neutral shades, a black eyeshadow, and one or a couple pops of blue, green, or purple. For those of you that like matte shadows, unfortunately, the finishes here are all frosty, shimmery, or glittery. Although this doesn't sound very travel-friendly, you can bring along a matte eyeshadow single or a smaller palette with matte eyeshadows to incorporate with the Ammo eyeshadows. I was fine with three days of shimmery eyeshadow. You can even rock a daytime look with neutrals such as Sin, Maui Wowie, Smog, and Chopper. A generously sized mirror included in the palette is definitely a must for travel.

Biggest Regret. Unfortunately, this has no picture. I actually ended up de-potting the colors of this palette and put the shadows in one of my old MAC palettes. Curious about what palette I'm talking about? It's Sephora's 5-in-1 Color Play Palette. It's a discontinued item that launched in 2010. It had five sections of 10 eyeshadows, two lip colors, and one blush color. Each section was detachable. Provided in the palette was a mini palette to snap the sections on to. I liked the concept of the detachable palettes along with their themes (for example, Dinner in Paris, Shopping in Milan, etc.) and a majority of colors were definitely up my alley. Sadly, I am not a big fan of having lip colors with a cream consistency in the same tray with powdered products like eyeshadows and blush. (Why did I even buy this if I knew that beforehand? :P) I was very cautious about not getting eyeshadow fall-out on to the lip colors. Although a bunch of the eyeshadow colors were pretty, they just did not blend well. They applied rather patchy. It bugged me a bit how the palette as a whole was big and bulky.

Best Color Names. These come from the Too Faced Chocolate Bar Palette. The names in this palette are so scrumptious and decadent. Can names of eyeshadows get more delicious than Salted Caramel, Milk Chocolate, Crème Brûlée, and Strawberry Bon Bon? (And yes, there are more delicious names.) To top it all off, the eyeshadows have a mouth-watering chocolate scent and the palette itself literally looks like a chocolate bar. I've done a look with these eyeshadows (it's somewhere on my Instagram account) and the colors go on nicely and blend effortlessly.

Least Used. Sadly, it's the Emerald Pretty Eyeshadow Palette by Tarina Tarantino. I haven't really reached for this much. Okay, I've got to do something about that. I will do my best to incorporate these pretty Oz-themed colors with more EOTD or EOTN looks. Check out the palette's unique octagon shape. :D

Most Used. Most Loved. Desert Island. There is one palette that's most used, most loved, and I would take it to a desert island if I end up in one for some strange reason. :P That's the Naked 2 palette. When I'm in a hurry to go to work, go out with my boyfriend, or just go somewhere in general, refusing to look like a not-so-hot mess, this is my go-to palette. Even when I'm not in a hurry, I still like using my trusty Naked 2. From this palette, I can get a decent looking smokey eye. I can also get a nice, subtle daytime look. With that being said, one can never go wrong with neutral eyeshadow colors. They work well with my cool skin tone too. As much as I love frosty, shimmery colors, I like how there are a few matte colors thrown in this palette as well.

That about rounds up my take on the Perfect Palette Tag. Pretty much all products mentioned are still available and sold on websites provided in the links. The only one I know of that has been discontinued is the 5-in-1 Color Play Palette by Sephora. I bought all but one. The Coastal Scents palette was actually gifted to me a few years ago. I've done my share of rambling about my perfect palettes. Now, it's YOUR turn. :D














2 comments: