Saturday, May 16, 2015

One-Stop Shop to Sculpting


I went back and forth thinking whether I should get the Kat Von D Shade + Light Contour Palette or not. Just like many, I've heard a lot of good things about it. I also heard that it works pretty well for fair skin tones. That definitely sold me. On the makeup market, it's quite a challenge to find contour powders or bronzers that don't come across as too muddy, dark, or orange for fair skin tones. I was leaning toward getting the NYX Highlight & Contour Pro Palette or the Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit. The Shade + Light color selection drew me in more among the three options I was considering.

I ordered Shade + Light at Sephora.com. This palette retails for $46. I ordered mine at the time of the VIB Event, so I was able to get 15% off of it.

Included in the palette are three highlight colors as well as three contour or bronzing shades. There's also an instructional guide illustrated by Kat Von D, herself. (I am always in awe of tattoo art and illustrations on her palettes.) It shows consumers how to define their cheekbones, sculpt around their face for a slimming effect, or how to contour the nose. So far, I tried following how to define what little cheekbones I have and the face slimming effect. My frequently used method featured on the guide is cheekbone definition. Although I have a round face and prominent forehead, I'm fine with not tweaking them on an everyday basis.

An optional component for the palette is a dual-ended Shade + Light Contour Brush sold separately for $36. That...well, I can live without. I have brushes floating around here that I can make use of in conjunction to this palette.

What I like about the contour or bronzing powders is that they blend seamlessly for a more defined and chiseled look. I was amazed and relieved not to see any streakiness or patchiness along my face during initial application. I like the highlight powders as well. Because they are matte, they're great for setting undereye concealer or even covering up mistakes of getting a little too contouring-happy. These powders work great as eyeshadows too when you want a quick and easy eye makeup look too without having to fumble with other palettes.

A con I've heard of about this palette is that it doesn't suit the needs of deeper, darker skin tones as well as complexions fairer than mine. It would be nice for Shade + Light to have other sculpting palette color variations as well to suit a multitude of skin tones.

There's still a lot I need to learn in terms of different ways to contour and perhaps flatter my features a little more using this palette. Overall, I enjoy using it and am looking forward to the whole learning process.









2 comments:

  1. Wow~the package design looks really cool. Love the different shades that's included! :D

    ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @AforAlyce:

      Yup. Packaging sure is nice. It feels like it won't fall apart easily too, which I like. Plus, all the shades in it are very handy. Buying it was so worth it. :)

      Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Hopping over to visit yours now. Take care. :)

      Delete